Ancient Healing Wisdom for the Skin
Glowing skin is a sign of good health from the inside out. Environmental reasons (like change of seasons), age and lack of good health contribute to unhealthy and irritated skin.
Ayurveda recommends high water content veggies (carrots/ radish/asparagus), as well as vitamin A and C loaded fruits (oranges/ blueberries) as antioxidants promote and protect collagen, giving skin a radiant glow.
Sweating out toxins via yoga and exercise on regular basis is also recommended. Massages with any warm essential oils help for circulation. Most importantly, stay hydrated, breathe, and meditate. This works for all skin types!
Ayurvedic tips for dry skin:
1. Massage your face with clarified butter (ghee) and almond oil before going to bed. Wash it off with tepid water the next morning
2. Every household should have an aloe vera plant as it has multi medicinal uses. Fresh aloe gel/juice when applied leaves the skin radiant.
3. While honey moisturizes and soothes dry skin it also has anti aging properties. Cut a lemon or a lime into one1/2. Add a few drops of honey directly and massage gently onto your face in circular motions. Wash it off after 15 minutes.
4. Avoid sun exposure.
Ayurvedic tips for oily skin:
1. Add egg white to a few drops of honey and apply as a face mask and wash it off after 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Grind mint leaves in lemon juice and apply as a face mask for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it with tepid water.
3. Grind cucumber and apply as a cooling mask. Wash it after 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Drink warm water with lemon juice in it as often as you can to flush out the toxins.
Ayurvedic tips for all skin types:
1. For moisturizing Add equal quantities of milk/glycerin and rose water. Apply overnight and wash it off in the morning.
2. Make a paste of clarified butter/pinch of turmeric and table spoon of ground oatmeal. Apply it as face mask and wash it off after 10 to 15 minutes.