Using makeup can be a lot of fun, whether it’s highlighting your natural beauty during the week, or getting a wow-effect for a special night out. And while we all know that we’re supposed to wash our faces before bed, at one point or another each of us forgets, or puts an extra ten minutes of sleep ahead of our skin health.
Unfortunately in those cases, letting makeup sit overnight can have a whole slew of negative effects. Since night is prime time for skin to hydrate and moisturize itself, clogged pores prevent the skin from rejuvenating, resulting in dry, dull skin the next morning. Caked on foundation also causes stress to the skin, speeding up the onset of wrinkles, and causing pesky acne marks that linger for days.
Now for the good news: there’s lots of easy natural ways to get glowing skin besides just remembering to wash off your makeup before bed. Here are a few tips from the MaaDisha team to get you started:
- Washing your sheets regularly will keep your bed fresh and free of built up oil, makeup, and dirt that might clog your pores. Even if you don’t have time for a full laundry cycle, be sure to swap out pillow cases at least once a week.
- Before removing your makeup at the end of the day, give yourself a steam cleanse. Fill your sink or a large bowl with hot water and place a towel over your head. This opens up the pores, allowing you to easily remove makeup and get a deep clean that penetrates your pores.
- Coconut oil is a great organic cleansing ingredient that can be used to remove makeup. Simply spread the oil directly onto your face and allow it to sit for a minute before wiping off with a warm washcloth or cotton pad.
- Cucumbers slices—they’re not just for spas! Cut up a few slices and let them sit on your skin for up to 10 minutes. Cucumber’s high water content helps reduce irritation and cool the skin. They’re even gentle enough to use on your eyelids to calm puffiness around the eyes.
- Organic raw honey with a pinch of baking soda works wonders as an exfoliating facial mask. Gently massage the mixture onto your face and let sit for 10 minutes before removing with a warm washcloth.
- Yogurt has wonderful moisturizing properties, and can even work as a facial cleanser when combined with a few drops of tea tree oil. Apply the mixture to your face and let sit for 5-10 minutes before removing with a warm washcloth.